Assistant Pension Scheme Secretary
International Financial services group based in Hertfordshire require an experienced Pension scheme professional to provide comprehensive pension scheme secretarial services to the Trustees of the Pension Fund consisting of a closed Defined Benefits scheme and Defined contribution scheme with over 3000 members
You will act as a central liaison point for all activities and relationships with the Scheme’s advisors and third party providers. You will have accountability for pension scheme secretarial services for the Scheme, including arranging trustee and sub-committee meetings, attending the Trustee meetings, presenting items and minute taking. You will assist with, and lead on, projects in response to Trustees initiatives including trustee governance reviews, procurement exercises, and communication exercises, and where required to ensure compliance with relevant regulatory requirements. You will provide advice on corporate governance matters to Trustees and ensure compliance with relevant UK legal and regulatory requirements for trust-based pension arrangements.
- Scheduling, organising, and attending trustee and sub-committee meetings, and preparing and presenting certain items.
- Preparing agendas and circulating in advance of each meeting together with electronic meeting packs of relevant documents, including reports from third party professional advisers.
- Preparing high quality trustee meeting minutes and ensuring trustee resolutions are documented
- Follow up on action points in between meetings and request that relevant parties fulfil the responsibilities allocated to them at the previous meeting (and completing actions allocated to the role holder).
- Managing member nominated trustee exercises, and employer nominated appointments.
- Assisting with, and coordinating, the annual audit process.
- Preparing the annual trustee budget and monitor expenses against it, including the approval of trustee expense submissions.
- Ensuring all legal and regulatory Scheme filings are undertaken including with the Pensions Regulator via Exchange.
- Producing and maintaining a manual of the Trustee's policies and procedures in relation to the exercise of discretionary powers, delegations of authority and notifiable events.
- Coordinating trustee initiatives including procurement exercises, Trustee governance reviews, and communication exercises.
- Setting up and updating the Trustee online governance system and board portal.
- Ensuring member queries and complaints under the Scheme’s Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure are dealt with efficiently and accurately, with appropriate review to ensure standards are met.
- Acting as a central liaison point for all activities and relationships with the Scheme’s advisors and third party providers.
- Drafting, reviewing and overseeing production of all other mass pensions communications (as appropriate).
- Act as a point of contact with regulatory/statutory authorities, such as the Pensions Regulator and data protection authorities.
- Working with and updating trustee documents such as a calendar of events, business plan, conflicts registers, risk registers, trustee training plan and training logs.
- Monitoring third party advisers against contracts and service level agreements
- Perform such other duties as may be requested from time to time by the Trustees and those which may be incidental to the above duties and functions.
- Key governance role in supporting the Trustees of the UK Division Staff Pension Fund, and the Sponsoring Employer, XYFIS (U.K.) Limited.
- Liaise with HR and external advisors to address queries from internal and external stakeholders including Scheme members, Finance, HR, Trustees, Scheme Administrator, external audit and regulators.
- Trustees and Scheme Members
- Senior management across UK Division.
- Advisers – auditors, actuary, investment managers, bank, HMRC, administrators, lawyers, scheme consultants
- Other departments – HR, Treasury, Finance, Payroll, Tax
Generic Company Accountabilities (Risk Management & Controls):
- Ensure familiarity with risk management programs, as they impact this position, and follow appropriate risk management procedures to control, monitor and report on business activities
- Ensure compliance with Company policies, regulatory, professional & legal requirements
- Flexibility regarding working hours to accommodate Trustee and external meetings
- Position based in Hertfordshire with occasional meetings in the City, London.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Scheme Secretary with 3+ years’ experience.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, with experience communicating with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly organized self-starter, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Experience of providing pension scheme secretarial services.
- A clear understanding of the trust-based pension arrangements and current practices.
- Sound computer skills, ideally with experience using sharepoint and board portals such as Diligent™, able to adapt and apply new technologies.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to explain complex issues to others.
- Solution focussed and an ability to investigate and respond to queries and issues arising.
- A strong foundational knowledge of pensions and be motivated to continue to develop this knowledge through attending training courses and on-the-job experience.
- Qualifications: Degree educated, Pensions Management Institute or equivalent qualification.
- Pensions Regulator Toolkit Certificate.
- Self-motivated – Takes an enthusiastic approach and is able to work under own initiative without need for close supervision to achieve results.
- Personally Accountable – Willing to take personal responsibility to pursue tasks with energy, drive and a need to finish.
- Customer orientated – Acts with customers in mind and follows through on promises.
- Pragmatic thinking style – Anticipates issues before they occur, is solution orientated, balances analysis, intuition, experience, and innovation in a straightforward and logical manner, giving sufficient thought to ones actions before acting.
- Job type:
- Financial Services
- £45000 pro rata